Friday, August 28, 2009

A Ticket to la vie Française


For the past six years or so, I've dedicated myself to my complete obsession of everything French. I'm not quite sure why or how it started, but I suddenly found myself interested in wine with dinner and creamy cheeses. I actually dedicated time everyday to my philosophy homework because, hey, isn't that all the French talk about: great philosophers and revolution while they sip espresso sweetened with sugar in rundown corner cafés in Paris near the Sorbonne? Hell, I even started learning the language! It quickly occurred to me that my greatest goal in life had become to try and become a native Française.

So, when my arrêté de nomination arrived in the mail in June, announcing that I would be teaching English to snot-nosed junior high kids and their know-it-all, hormonal older siblings in high school (kidding! I love kids really...) in some small, no-name town in the French Alps, I couldn't have been more thrilled! I finally had real, honest-to-God legitimate access to my dream of living and working in France. And here I thought I might never see France again…

Last Friday I went to the French Embassy in San Francisco to pick up my temporary worker's visa: a year-long passport to legal, legitimate living in France. My airline ticket is purchased, my depressing cubical job is quit, and a brand-new laptop has been bought to record the experience. I'm keeping this blog so that I have a way of recording my trials, pitfalls, pictures, and hopefully some happy memories in a form accessible from every corner internet café I might visit; I can update blog posts in between discussing Descartes and Camus... yeah, right. Please leave your comments so that I don't get lonely!

2 comments:

  1. It's been wonderful to see, first-hand, the excitement and enthusiasm for this dream. I can't wait for all the blog posts to come! From French press coffee to French cut shirts, from philosophy and politics to the language itself, you have shown me a deeper, clearer view into this region and culture. I want to thank you for that. You've come so far, and worked so hard to get to this opportunity of a lifetime, and to know that such a deserving person has arrived to this dream makes me very grateful to have seen this. It's been an honor and a privilege, especially to have been there with you near the Grant and Bush intersection outside the San Francisco French Embassy to have seen and felt your excitement. I love it. I look forward to hearing and reading about your adventures. I'm here to listen. I promise to continue the French edition of Rosetta Stone, Level 1. And I promise to offer to be a shoulder to lean on, over 5,000 miles away.

    Je t'aime, mon amour.

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!