Sunday, November 15, 2009

Le Grand Lemps


This past week I finally started teaching at Le Grand Lemps (leh grahn-d la-nce), a village east of La Côte whose only real claim to fame is that there's a gare (gehr: railway station) in the center of town allowing the villagers a quick and easy escape to Lyon forty minutes away.  Of course, it could be any animosity I hold toward this village is le collège (leh koll-ehj: the junior high) where I will be spending a weekly nine hours of my life for the next five months.  As if going through junior high the first time wasn't bad enough.

I don't know about you, but junior high was a nightmare for me from day one.  The kids were petty and often just plain cruel, the classrooms smelled like bad BO and acne medication, and junior high was also my first introduction to public locker rooms which is, let me just clarify, a nightmare scenario in and of itself.  My single happy memory of my junior high days was graduation: my ticket out.  And now here I am teaching those hellish students in those stinky classrooms.

The really scary thing?  Junior high, the second time around, isn't so bad.  Les collègians (leh koll-ehj-ee-ahns: the junior high students) actually haven't grown into that bitter stage in life yet, and are actually excited about English and - dare I say it - eager to participate in class.  Every day I walk into a classroom it's like a scene out of the Twilight Zone: I expect to be eaten alive without any shred of dignity left yet, at the end, I miraculously manage to live to dread another day.  I'm certain these collège students are going to turn on me sometime.  It's just a matter of when.  Until that happens, I'm actually having fun.

Also, in 10-15 days I might actually have the Internet.  In my bedroom.  Meaning I can continue my pre-France life of staying in bed until noon searching for bootlegged Sex & the City episodes in my nightgown without any blocked website access or crappy wireless signals.  What's the French word for euphoria?  Oh, yeah: la euphorie (lah oo-for-ee).

3 comments:

  1. Junior high was a nightmare for me too. The students over there sound a lot more excited to learn English than peers in my middle school. Glad to hear that, and I hope that makes the teaching experience for you very enjoyable. I would love to be able to teach a class that seems eager like that.

    I'm so excited for the Internet to, finally, come...Skype! Hope this headset comes through in the clutch. Euphorie for me: watching Sex & the City episodes together. But until then, Choncho, Greta, and I will stay in bed reading this wonderful piece by Julia Child. It's a wonderful thing.

    Your bastard,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love that I also get Andrew's take on your experience in France as well! You two are so dang cute! I have found my own "Andrew" also Leith, but his name is John. I can't wait to get a second to actually figure out Skype! Although now it seems I can just get a microphone for my computer and talk to you through that, like you used to do up in Humboldt?

    I love you and always keep you in my prayers...who knows, maybe that is why the little students haven't turned on you? ;) Though, honestly, (and Andrew, I'm sorry to cause you any jealousy) but they probably haven't turned on you because all the little French boys have crushes on the cute American teaching them, and all the French girls are intimidated!

    Enjoy staying in bed until noon! :D Love you Leithy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I feel it's my duty to let you in on the good, the bad, and the ugly Leighann.

    Andrew: If you bring the dvds over right now, I promise you I'll stay and watch every single episode with you until you've had so much Carrie you're ready to wear high heels, perm your hair, and move to Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!