Sunday, November 1, 2009

Vienne

I know it's injuste (en-joost: unfair) and puéril (pu-eer-eel: childish), but for the past few weeks I've been getting that sneaking suspicion that every single person in France has a more exciting life than me. A bit injuste because I realize it's unrealistic to expect myself to have met a gaggle of friends all over the French countryside to do things with, and puéril because, let's be honest, it's a bit immature not to realize that everyone leads a pretty pathetic life from time to time, even if you are French. Still, I can’t help but have the feeling that, while I’m holed up in my room, everyone else in town is busy getting wasted and having the time of their life.

As tough as it is to come to terms with, I have no friends in France who will whisk me off to an amazing Halloween party on a moment’s notice, or invite me on a vacation to their family villa in Monaco. So, I've decided that until I meet these fabulous friends, I have to be my own party. And this party started yesterday: a party of one in Vienne for Halloween. Jaloux (jah-lo: jealous)?

Vienne is a town/city (not quite sure if it's big enough to earn "city" status) just slightly sud (s-ood: south) of Lyon, filled with Roman ruins and quaint street markets. I spent the day walking along the Quai du Rhône (qu-ay duh roh-n: the banks of the Rhône River), sipping espresso in cafés, and sightseeing until I was literally blue in the face (though the blue face was probably more from that damn cold fog).

Of course, what would a day full of French adventure be without having to run after the last bus back home screaming "Wait! Stop!" in English? I practically had to knock the bus' door down while it was stopped at a red light on its way out of town, only to be ridiculed by the bus driver - in French - for 15 minutes. Oh oui, j’ai fait ça (oh wee, jay fay sah: oh yes, I did that).

5 comments:

  1. Vienne sounds beautiful, and a very wonderful post, Leith. I hope you had a Jaloux Halloween yesterday. While talking with you on the phone, I remember you screaming "Wait, Stop!" in English, while you chased after the bus. I'll take the blame for it being in English. Poor Leith. The Rhone sounds beautiful, too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So was the bus driver ridiculing you for being late, or for speaking in english? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, a party is not a party until you have to run down a bus! At least you didn't run in front of a train to catch it...have I ever told you that story? It's a good one-- but not as good as if I could say it is a French train! :D Love you Dear and hope Halloween was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leith, don't worry - I absolutely have the same thought all the time about everyone having more fun than I am. We'll plan something soon (maybe next weekend?) and get together and go out and have so much fun that all the French people will be très jaloux! Hang in there. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cai - I think the bus driver was ridiculing me for a bit of both, and just disgusted with me in general. Luckily after 15 minutes of chastising me, he moved on to reminisce about his gay math and PE teachers in high school, and forgot all about the fact that he wanted to run me over with his bus.

    Leighann - In front of a train?! Haha, now that's classic!

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!