Sunday, May 22, 2011

Un clin d'oeil


If I could hand down one piece of advice, it would be to keep your yeux (you: eyes) wide open, because everything seems to change with a clin d'oeil (kleen d-ow: blink of an eye). The bleak grey ciel (see-yell: sky) of a Parisian winter suddenly turns into blossoming, muggy spring days and before I know it those blossoms have disappeared and l'été is only a month away. Beloved animals slip away from my life, friends disappear to corners of the globe to maybe never be seen again, and in a little over a month, my current life in Paris will be a distant memory.

Time has a stubborn way of continually moving forward, and for some reason this year is no exception. Yet I'm somehow always shocked—SHOCKED--when I find myself at the end of yet another year, trying to get myself into a bargain with Father Time to roll back the les horloges (layz or-loj: clocks) a bit, even offering to sell my soul for an extra few days of weekend, but Father Time is a stubborn old fool and never gives in.

So, here I am, at the end of another printemps (prawn-temp: spring). I've got to start packing my valises (val-eez: suitcases) and say my goodbyes to Paris. Sure, I still have a little over a month left, but if past experiences have taught me anything, it's that as soon as there's a clin d'oeil, it will all be over, but that's alright: it just means a new adventure in San Francisco is about to begin, and knowing that Andrew and my family will be waiting for me when I get home makes the impending goodbyes a little easier.

3 comments:

  1. France has been very lucky to have you. When you leave, France will miss you. But unlike France, Home both misses & loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Andrew guy has a way with words, doesn't he? I understand them entirely. Even though you love your annual adventures in Paris and other parts of Europe, California and all your people there do miss you. Your new little nephew will get to know you a bit, your family will soak up all the hugs and kisses they can while your at home, and many of us will look for the opportunity to share tales of your newest escapades. So go ahead... get the good-byes said and then grace our unworthy souls with your presence once again. I hope to see you sometime in the near future - have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow world traveler...when one door closes...another door opens.
    Safe Travels back to California, Leith. The Golden Gate awaits you.
    Aloha...A Hui Hou.

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!