Friday, September 4, 2009

Clercking, clacking, cubicles, and champagne



As most people know, champagne is simply a sparkling white wine made from grapes grown only in the region of Champagne, in the northeast of France. Most all countries have their own just-as-tasty knock-offs of the good stuff because, let's face it: celebratory times can only be properly acknowledged with alcohol and bubbles.

I can honestly say that tonight I discovered the reason they invented champagne: to toast the end of depressing cubical jobs spent sitting in front of the blue glow of the computer screen. After eleven months of work under the title "Data Entry Clerk", all I ever really had to show from my job was an ass that has artfully crafted itself into the shape of my swivel chair. That, and perhaps a case of carpel tunnel syndrome.

But no longer. Today was my last day at my (now old) job. To celebrate, Andrew and I went to Red (the restaurant) and toasted with a glass of bubbly to all the old, crappy jobs we've ever had, all of which have thankfully come to end somehow, and to all the (hopefully not so crappy) jobs we might have again. Don't get me wrong, I've met plenty of super friendly, talented people this past year due to my work. Which is why I also secretly toasted that their crappy jobs would soon come to an end too, so that they could move on to bigger and better opportunities at a company that actually gives raises and sick leave. What can I say? I believe in the power of "Cheers!".

So, here's to crappy jobs, great jobs, and all that happens in between those paychecks! As the champagne toasts go in France: tchin-tchin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!