Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The French Repa Chez Lui (My French meal at his place)



I've often debated on which is the more romantic, exciting, fun-inducing setting for a night of wining and dining: a night in or a night out on the town? I always enjoy the idea of spending a night eating and drinking without having to worry about cleaning or dishes, but when I find my bank account dwindling because I have to take out a small loan just to afford a cocktail at the bar, nights at home with friends becomes a bit more appealing everyday. Seeing as I'm going to have to spend a lot of nights in during the next few months because, let's face it, being a teaching assistant isn't exactly the most lucrative job in the world, Andrew reminded me this past Sunday just how romantique a night at home can be.

In order to, no doubt, score points in the boyfriend category, Andrew spent the afternoon boiling, peeling, and mixing together a full course picture-perfect French meal. We started out with pain chaud (warm bread), followed by crêpes decorated with warm framboises (raspberries) and stuffed with artichoke hearts, champignons (mushrooms), and handpicked chèvre from France with the most smooth, creamy, nutty aftertaste I could ask for. This was followed by a cheese plate of smoked gruyère from Switzerland, a wonderful fresh salad with sundried tomatoes and avocado, finished off by raspberry shortcake with handmade whipped cream for dessert. Throw numerous glasses of pinot grigio and cabernet sauvignon into the mix, with a warm cup of ca américain as the coup de grâce, I was only able to realize what an amazing meal Andrew had made after the food coma wore off. It's hard to believe the French might eat any better than this. So delicious, even the cat couldn't help but get a bite in!

If it sounds like I'm bragging, it's because I am. Seriously, if Andrew ever decides to give up on the whole fire safety thing, I'm pretty sure he has a bright future at le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Knowing that Andrew can throw together such amazing French meals, I may never want to eat out again. Especially since, this time, he was in charge of the dishes too.

1 comment:

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!