Sunday, October 18, 2009

Bon anniversaire



With two anniversaires (an-ee-vers-err: birthdays) to celebrate this weekend, I've been meditating over two very important thoughts: first, merci à Dieu (mehr-see ah dee-ue: thank God) for Skype, Facebook, and the Internet in general for reminding me of birthdays and letting me get in touch with people overseas; second, I and everyone I know are getting old(er).

Let me explain.

Saturday I waited around until a decent California hour to wish my boyfriend's mom a bon annivesaire (bohn an-ee-vers-err: happy birthday).  While talking to her about party plans, I also did my usual Skype multi-tasking ritual of Facebook stalking when I came across a very useful tidbit of information: Sunday was the birthday of my Italian colocataire (co-lohc-a-ter: roommate).  So thanks to the infinite wisdom of Facebook to inform me of every single bit of information that my Facebook friends would otherwise not want me to know, I was able to have a little birthday surprise setup for said roommate when she woke up and walked into the kitchen this morning.


Sitting around the kitchen table watching the birthday girl blowing out her lone bougie anniversaire (boo-gee an-ee-vers-err: birthday candle) while comparing lesson plans and paychecks, I couldn't help but briefly be terrified by the fact that here we were, a birthday girl and her new-found friends eating pasta and chocolate eclairs and discussing our work lives.  I couldn't help but think to myself: how did I get so old?

Sure, me and my roommates are still in the "young" as far as it goes, but when I told my class of high school students my age they gasped in horror.

"What?" I asked, "Is that old?"

"Yes, if you want to know the truth" a student responded.

"Umm, well... thanks for being honest."

And to think that just three years ago I couldn't even drink a glass of wine legally.  One of the perks of being older?  Now I have the power to flunk that student if I want to.

4 comments:

  1. i thought they weren't so ageist in france. i never thought of 24 as old, but maybe it's because you might look younger and they have crushes on you. i know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an incredibly gifted writer, Leith. Choncho and I, at the moment, are reading your blog, and said he agrees hands down. I'm so glad I get the emails telling me you posted.

    By the way, I would flunk him too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that reminds me of the time I asked one of the Casey boys I babysat there in Ben Lomond if they thought I was beautiful and he said, "Uh, no, not really". Too bad I couldn't flunk him! :D Hehe, Love you Leith and love reading your poetic, beautiful and insightful blogs. It is weird, it makes me feel closer to you, yet miss you even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you mean paws down, Choncho?

    And thanks so much for your comments everyone. The flattery never goes unappreciated, but I just like knowing someone (besides my boyfriend, he's mandated to read this thing ;-) is reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!