Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mon St. André


I would just like to take a minute to write a little devotional to mon Saint André (mohn sahn-t ahn-drey: my Saint Andrew). Not only is this particular saint incredibly unique, handsome, and loving (as well as a charmer of animals big and small), but we've also had the opportunity to get to know one another pretty well these past few months and--I think it's safe to say--we're pretty crazy about each other too.

In part because of this new-found André obsession, I think it's fitting to be living in a town whose patron saint is St. André. Every day I pass by numerous streets, buildings, and parks which--literally--have "Andrew" written all over them. 


From my bedroom window I can hear the church bells of l'eglise St. André (leh gleez sahn-t ahn-drey: The Church of Saint Andrew) ring every 30 minutes, reminding me of all the times Andrew has called me on the phone with a caring and supportive (or, sometimes, fight-inducing) word to say. I pass by le bar St. André (leh bahr sahn-t ahn-drey: Saint Andrew's bar), watching couples sipping wine and coffee together as I think back on all the wonderful dates and discussions Andrew and I have had over a bottle of wine (or absinthe cocktail). Then, of course, there's the massive bouquet des fleurs de lys (boh-kay dh flhur dh leez: lilies) Andrew had delivered to my door today. Now, even as I breathe in and out, the aroma of the flowers is a reminder of how romantic and caring Andrew has always been to me. If Andrew was ever in doubt over whether or not I think about him, he shouldn't be worried. How could I possibly forget him?! He's everywhere!


Long distance relationships are never easy. I don't think either Andrew or I pretend to know where our future together lies, but in the meantime it's nice to know I have a friend and lover out there, somewhere, who is thinking of me as much as I think of him.  When I was single for ever so many countless years, I had faith that a good, sweet, romantic, beautiful man was something that only existed in fairy tales. But, what do you know: Andrew exists in real life.  My life.  And that, I think, is something worth shouting "hallelujah" to.

Now can I get an Amen?!

4 comments:

  1. andrew sent you flowers!???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg, what a thrill! that was sooooooooooooooooo nice!
    well, i'm sitting here on the shores of coos bay dark clouds overthead but sun shining through lighting up the white sailboat that floats along on calm waters. very beautiful. i, too, have soo much to be grateful for! love you, and think of you always too, you're never out of my mind. hugs and kisses, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am very lucky... or, shall we say that Andrew is just incredibly lucky to be with me (wink wink, nudge nudge)... hehehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, who would have known that Andrew would be written all over your town? Funny thing, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, remember, there are no coincidences in life! :D I am happy that Andrew sent you flowers-- what an amazing man! Oh, I wish I could talk to you Leithy!! I need to get a microphone on my computer so I can call you over there in France!!

    ANDREW~ any tips, advice you can give me about how to call Leith? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez (what do you think)? Leave a comment anonymously or let everyone know you were here!